If you are interested in the Carpentry Pre-Apprentice program, please sign up to attend an upcoming information session, which is required to take the course. The session will be held in collaboration with the North Atlantic States Carpenters Training Fund and MassHire Career Centers.
Virtual (On Zoom)
- Tuesday, June 6, 2023 @ 10:00 AM
- Tuesday, June 6, 2023 @ 5:00 PM
- Wednesday, July 5, 2023 @ 10:00 AM
- Wednesday, July 5, 2023 @ 5:00 PM
- Tuesday, August 15, 2023 @ 10:00 AM
- Tuesday, August 15, 2023 @ 5:00 PM
Meeting ID: 874 5201 9923
- Wednesday, July 19, 2023 @ 6:00 PM
- Wednesday, August 16, 2023 @ 6:00 PM
Minuteman Technical Institute (inside Minuteman High School)
758 Marrett Road (Rt. 2A), Lexington, MA
About the Program
The 15-week Carpentry Pre-Apprenticeship program is held at Minuteman Technical Institute, the adult learning division of Minuteman High School in Lexington, and at the Carpenters' Training Fund centers in Dorchester and Millbury.
The 200-hour program provides participants with training in proper use of hand tools and equipment, framing, concrete work, project management, and more.
The instructors have many years of experience in construction and carpentry and are actively working in the field.
The MTI Carpentry program is held in collaboration with the North Atlantic States Regional Council of Carpenters (NASRCC) and the North Atlantic States Carpenters Training Fund (NASCTF).
Collaboration with MassHire and Commonwealth Corporation
Minuteman Technical Institute is offering the Carpentry Pre-Apprenticeship program through a collaboration with Commonwealth Corporation, the MassHire Career Centers, and the Governor’s Workforce Skills Cabinet.
MassHire Career Centers will support trainees through the application and eligibility process, provide employment assistance, and 90 days of support following the completion of the program.
- September 5, 2023 to December 21, 2023
- 15-Week, 200-Hour Program
- Classes will be held:
- Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4:30-10:00 PM
- Saturdays from 7:30 AM-2:00 PM
- Days and times are subject to adjustment
This training is provided COST-FREE for the following Massachusetts residents:
- Anyone who is unemployed
- Middlesex County residents who earn less than $63,900 gross annually
- Suffolk County residents who earn less than $45,500 gross annually
- Worcester County residents who earn less than $46,700 gross annually
- Essex County residents who earn less than $50,000 gross annually
- Most recent high school graduates
The Carpentry Pre-Apprenticeship program is supported by the grant funding from the Massachusetts Workforce Skills Cabinet.
Requirements to Take Course
- Be at least 18 years old
- Eligible to work in United States
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent
- Pass CORI/SORI (criminal and sex offender background check)
- Pass drug test
- OSHA 10 Construction Safety Certification
- Hot Work Certification
- Fall Protection Certification
- Scaffold Use Certification
- Mobile Elevated Work Platforms (MEWPs) Certification
- Construction Laborer
- Construction Manager
- Cost Estimators
- First-line Supervisors/Managers
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Carpenters, at https://www.bls.gov/ooh/construction-and-extraction/carpenters.htm, July 26, 2021
- $18.47-$45.82/hour with benefits depending upon pathway
- $38,410-$95,310/annually with benefits depending upon pathway
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Carpenters, at https://www.bls.gov/ooh/construction-and-extraction/carpenters.htm, visited July 26, 2021