MTI Students Participate in SkillsUSA Fall Conference
LEXINGTON – Thursday, December 2, 2021 – Students from Minuteman High School and adult students from Minuteman Technical Institute participated in the SkillsUSA Massachusetts Fall Leadership Conference in Marlborough on November 22. Four Minuteman High School students received gold medals for their participation in the day, which also included guest speakers, workshops, and a community service project.
The day was focused on highlighting the SkillsUSA Framework which focuses on the personal skills, technical skills and workplace skills to ensure that students are career ready. At this event, both the high school and adult Minuteman students participated in a community service project, building picnic tables for the MetroWest YMCA.
The following four Minuteman High School students participated in the SkillsUSA conference:
· Cole Traywick (grade 11, Automotive Technology major, from Acton), who was received a gold medal as the most valuable player for the Technical Skills Group 1.
· Trinity Choroszej (grade 12, Biotechnology major, from Arlington) and Henry Blackburn (grade 12, Biotechnology major, from Needham), who were recognized with gold medals for their participation in a community service project that was showcased in a video.
· Nathan Lubets (grade 11, Environmental Science major, from Acton), who received two gold medals for his participation in a group that created a poster that showcased the lessons learned from SkillsUSA. His group won the medals for both content and design.
· Dylan Higgins, grade 12, Biotechnology major, from Acton
· Camille White, grade 10, Biotechnology major, from Boxborough
· Alima Salahuddin, grade 10, Biotechnology major, from Acton
The following adult Minuteman Technical Institute students participated in the SkillsUSA conference. These students, who are mostly women, are attending the Carpentry program that is funded through Governor Baker’s Career Technical Institute grant.
· Katus Brown
· Kim Cooper
· Christine Dunbar
· Sophia Garcia
· Isylah Haynes
· Janelle Marsh
· Kelly Monteiro
· Alana Parkinson
· Kayla Raposo
· Zherine Riley